For getting rid of asbestos, calling a professional makes a lot of sense. Professional asbestos removal contractors are responsible to get rid of asbestos in a safe manner. Since asbestos removal contractors are professional, they use their set of skills, knowledge and experience to remove the material. However, certain homeowners feel that hiring a professional asbestos removal contractor makes no sense in order to save money. Although it is recommended to hire a professional, there are a few ways to get rid of asbestos. Here are some of the tips you should consider.
- Wear Safety and Protective Equipment – The first step to do is to wear safety equipment. Some of this equipment includes a face mask, shoes, gloves, goggles and more. These will help you stay safe.
- Use Safe tools – If you are wearing every safety equipment, now is the time to start removing asbestos safely. At the time of using tools, you shouldn’t use tools that are electric-based. Using such tools will only lead to the material getting crumbled. Instead, using tools like a screw or hammer makes more sense.
- Avoid Drinking or Eating at the Worksite – If you’re tired and wish to take a break that is either drinking or eating, then this shouldn’t be inside the workplace. Since asbestos gets crumbled easily, it can easily settle down on the surface of food and water. Consuming food and water contaminated with asbestos, can enter the body and start causing severe diseases.
With these tips, you should be able to do asbestos removal in Newcastle, NSW region.
Asbestos during its natural state looks harmless since it is a fluffy-looking mineral. Asbestos is known to be found under rocks and soils due to silicon and oxygen which are elements that lead to the asbestos formation. Although asbestos comes in various types, chrysotile and amphibole are the most popular ones.
Chrysotile – When observed under a microscope, chrysotile appears in the shape of a spiral or wrapped-like shape. Serpentine, white asbestos, curly asbestos is a few sets of names chrysotile is known for.
Amphibole –Amphibole when observed under a microscope, it seems to have an appearance in a straight line. Moreover, it also appears to be in the shape of a needle.
Asbestos and Cancer are related to one another based on these findings.
- When Swallowed – One of the ways for asbestos to enter our body is via swallowing. It is easy for asbestos to enter our body when asbestos gets settled on the surface of the food and water we drink.
- When Inhaled – Another way for asbestos to enter our body is via inhaling. This is a danger since asbestos can easily get crumbled with a touch, get mixed with the atmosphere and then enter our body through the nose. People who work in industries related to processing and manufacturing are always on the verge of getting exposed to asbestos.
At the end of the day, asbestos if entered and then settled on the surface of the lungs can lead to lung cancer and other respiratory-related diseases. The problem becomes more problematic as symptoms only starts to show in a person who is above the age of 30.
At the end of the day, asbestos in Newcastle should be removed by calling a professional.